Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Liquid dishwasher detergent

So, pretty much all last year I was trying to figure out what was causing my boys eczema to flare up. Eczema is a crazy thing, it's an allergic reaction to something... finding that 'something' can be overwhelming and at times feel impossible. I have read HUNDREDS of different natural ways to get rid of this condition. Somewhere along the way I ran across an article about a girl who discovered that her eczema was caused by the dishwasher soap she was using for her dishes... crazy!!! So because I am willing to try stuff and this sounded very easy to do, I decided to make my own dishwasher detergent. Although it didn't really make a difference with the boys skin, I really, really like it! It's easy, inexpensive and works incredible. It's very 'green'... I really don't like how that sounds! Really, I do care about the environment but it is definitely not my first concern(anything green I do is undone because of the fact that my boys are not potty trained). If it's better for my family, that is why I do these things :)
Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 cups water 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar

1/4 cup liquid castile soap
2 tablespoons pure lemon juice (not concentrate)
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon washing soda
**10-15 drops antibacterial essential oil, if using an unscented castile

extra white vinegar for the rinse cycle

In a small saucepan, combine water and vinegar over medium heat. Bring to just boiling and then reduce to low heat. Add each additional ingredient, one at a time, whisking as you go. Make sure everything is dissolved before removing from heat.

Allow to cool and then transfer to a storage container. When completely cooled the solution will separate into two layers, so shake it up real good before use.


IMG_1736


I use 2-3 tablespoons per load. I also fill the machine’s rinse indicator with white vinegar – a very important step. Don’t skip this part! It will keep the dished ‘soap-scum-free’ and extra sparkle.

2 comments:

Krystal said...

That sounds awesome! If we had a dishwashing machine, that would be at the top of my list. :) We have found that using homemade laundry soap saves us a ton! I'm not sure how that would work with the boys skin though...

The Koplins said...

Just a side note about the eczema... the best cure I've found so far.... do nothing! Really, I used all the creams as well and could not shake it (on my son), everytime it was almost gone I would apply more cream and it would flare back up. One day the Lord spoke to my heart to stop using all medicines and don't you know it went away and has yet to return, 2.5 years later!