Thursday, September 22, 2011

not what we were expecting

Well, this time it is just taking me longer to process the information that we got at the last procedure. I decided to go ahead and let you all know since I still haven’t been able to accept it completely!
First of all, thank you all for your prayers! Levi did incredible… I got this idea to hide dinosaurs for him to find and I would tell him that the hospital could be a special place. He had so much fear and terror last time and when I would even mention the word hospital or doctor, he would almost start to cry! So, the dinosaurs were perfect. The anesthesiologist that carried him to the OR could not have done a better job, it was liked we had practiced it all! It was a night and day difference from last time. BUT, the other thing that was night and day difference was what the Doctor saw.
The part that had already started to heal at the last procedure looked good. But the other part of the graft had collapsed. This means his airway is half the size that it should be. If all this is is a major setback, then we are very disappointed. The Doctor was so shocked! He said that he was already getting excited about getting to tell us that the next procedure would be the beginning of the end and that we could start capping the trach(plugging it so he could use his mouth and nose to breathe… the last step). But instead he had to put back another stent in to try and save the graft, so that it can heal in the shape of an airway. When he first came back to tell us this, I wanted to just have a meltdown. The thought about having a stent in for 4-6 weeks was terrible. Remember, with this he could barely swallow his own saliva! But thankfully the Doctor thought of a different type of stent, it’s a hallow tube instead of a plug so it hasn’t bothered Levi. It was a big relief when we came home that night and Levi was able to eat.
So, we wait two more weeks and have to go back again to see if things are healing properly. The stent is somewhat see through. Unfortunately this is going to be a lot longer than we expected and hoped for. And of course, there is a possibility that he will need a second major surgery. Honestly I can’t even imagine having to go through with it.
It’s so hard to not be able to see light at the end of the tunnel, but for me it’s even harder to see light and have it taken away. I know that God wants me to rely on Him and to trust that He is in control. Of course I had all kinds of plans in my mind and I needed the timing to be perfect with no setbacks. Levi and Jesse have been talking about going to the ocean when Levi could swim like a fish, like nemo. We were hoping that we would all get to go before it got to cold. Mexico is ALWAYS on my heart. I try not to talk about it too much, and I never want to sound ungrateful for TN and what God has done here. We really want to go again for Christmas and ‘the plan’ had been to stay a little longer this time. Again, God is continuously teaching me not to make my own plans… a hard lesson.
Please do pray for healing for Levi’s airway… for God to show us his hand in all of this. Thank you

1 comment:

Tandrian said...

:( ... I would love to share something deep that would encourage you, but words don't seem to be enough ... Praying for you and your little guy ... May the Lord's presence give you peace and comfort through this valley of shadows from the light that seemed to come but isn't quite here yet.